Moving in checklist
When moving in to a new rental property you can sometimes become flustered by all the tasks you need to do. So we have created a moving in checklist. We hope to help you streamline the process so that you can enjoy your first days in your property.
- Update all your new and current energy suppliers that you’ve moved and changed address (Gas, Water and Electricity).
- Update Council of changed address (otherwise you could be subject to a tax bill/fine).
- Decide on broadband and TV services ( make sure you get the best speeds and packages for your locations, many sites offer this service to save you money).
- Buy new TV license or update existing one (typically cost £145 but if you are over 74 in a care home or blind you may be able to get reduced fees).
- Update all mail so it reaches your new home (so that nothing gets left behind).
- Meet with your letting agent and sign new contracts, pay deposit and rent.
- In order to make sure you don’t forget to pay your rent set up a standing order to pay your landlord on time (this can be done in your local branch or online).
- Take inventory of all items and surfaces ( this is vital when claiming your deposit back; getting proof of damages early can save you money when it’s time to leave).
- Make sure you know where to get all energy readings and update your suppliers when you move in (by doing this you will only pay for what you use and not the previous resident).
- Buy contents insurance ( usually required before moving in, this could help if anything goes missing).
- Research and find new doctors and dental surgeries in the local area ( you should do this as soon as possible as there are usually waiting lists).